Home Improvement

This morning I was listening to the Tom Joyner Morning Show, like any other morning. It’s my wake up call. :) Anyway, it came on just in time to catch Reverend Al Sharpton give his daily word. I listen every morning, but something he said today stuck with me. He said, “we can’t continue to fight battles we’ve already won. We have battles today to fight.” Reverend Al was referring to the fight Dr. King fought & won for the black community. I understand what he was saying… However, I couldn’t help but apply this quote to my life & some of the battles I’ve fought & am still fighting. Sometimes I still go back to old struggles & try to make sense of them while opening up old battle wounds in the process. I continue to struggle with things in the past that I’ve won, lost, & can’t control. There are things in the present that I still need to overcome so that my future can be successful. I, and we, cannot continue to ignore present issues and hinder our progress because we refuse to let go of the past or want to continue to live in the glory of what once was. If implemented by each individual, self progression can lead to the progression of a people, followed by the progression of a society. Or maybe that’s just my philosophy. :)

I need to understand my past so I can work hard in my present, and bask in the lovely ambiance of my future.

Comments

Popular Posts