Doo Wop

Today I was greeted with a 'good afternoon' text message. A conversation followed, & I was enjoying it. I was thinking, "geez, he's so sweet to have gotten up & texted me right after." I was all giddy... And then I froze. It occurred to me that I was this pleased with a text message. A simple text. Now, I'm definitely not ungrateful for it: it was a sweet notion & he's a sweet guy. But I had to re-evaluate something. Why am I so impressed with this text message? Has it been that long since I've been thought of? Or am I just impressed that he is actually being nice? Then I realized that I'm surprised that he's being nice. Why has it become so rare that guys are actually NICE to females? Are females so unaccustomed to being respected & treated right that we're taken aback when one treats us with something other than disrespect? I'm not saying that all dudes are this way. There are some genuine fellows around, & I am no man basher. I know I'm not the only female that has been happy about something as simple as a text message, but we need to realize that that's just the first step. To be so impressed with something like that says that we're easy to please & that the level of respect stops there. Like Lauryn said, "baby girl, respect is just the minimum." I'm not saying totally disregard what the brotha is trying to do; appreciate it. He's trying. He's doing more than others will do. But, don't let him get comfortable with doing the MINIMUM.

Comments

Popular Posts